gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starcraft 2: Greed or Glory?  (Read 3966 times)
ZONK
WoW Member

« on: October 12, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »

So with Blizzcon news out, Starcraft 2 has been announced it will ship as 3 games. The first game will be only the Terran Single player story with 20-30 missions + multiplayer. The second game will be Zerg story with also 20-30 missions + new units for each class used in multiplayer and will release one year or more after the first. The last game will be Protoss story with again 20-30 missions + new units for each class used in multiplayer however *might not include any new units from Zerg game. Protoss releases year+ after Zerg.

First off without complaining, there is still some confusion about this because they 1. claim each game will be as big as a full game and not require buying any other. Meaning you could wait the 3 years and only buy the Protoss, however 2. since they are separate games they won't include the expansion units. This is weird because for the diehard fans that get all 3, technically you are going to have to decide which one you want to play more in multiplayer if Protoss doesn't have the new units in Zerg. Thus splitting everyone up into 3 different games.

Now with the complaining, they are claiming each is a full game and each will not require the other, enforcing my theory they fully intend to sell each for $50 bucks. Currently the pricing plan for each game, even the first, is not released. My bet is they are feeling out the community to see what they can get. If enough complain hopefully we can see $40 per each. Either way it sucks because, the only thing the game does above SC1 is running on a prettier engine with 3D graphics. In SC1 and WarIII it gave single player stories for each of the races, with making some short in WarIII because there is 4 races. Just don't see the innovation that increases the cost 300%. I really was hoping to buy this game, but just don't know now, I only care about Protoss Story, but waiting 3-4+ years for what will then be dated graphically doesn't even seem like a good option. Especially if people prefer the expansion units in the Zerg game and no one plays the Protoss game in multiplayer.

My only hope is Diablo 3, err wait that is also just looking to be a port of Diablo 2 into a 3D graphic engine. Next thing we know it DRM will be included or something, lol. Activision Blizzard makes me look to EA for games, that makes me cry.

Nightstalker
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:53:46 PM »

They are taking what they learned off of WoW expansion tactics and are applying it here.

Greed.

I play a free online game, mod for an offline game, and play flash games now to keep my interest, and many are just as good as retail release games. Boycott Blizzard.
Unnormal
Prepare for the apocalypse.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:05:48 AM »

I was really excited about starcraft two if they release it like that though I will not buy a one of them, and will join night on his fuck blizzard bandwagon.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
Reddawn
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »

yeah if they do release them individually then thats REALLY gay
Redbear8
WoW Member

where's the honey?

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:41:39 PM »

While I played and really enjoyed the first, I'm not all that excited about this one. I am however pumped as hell about Diablo 3. I'll never join the fuck blizzard band-wagon, simply because they can charge what they want, I don't have to pay it unless I want to. Buying 3 individual boxes over 3 years for starcraft will still be boatloads cheaper than what I've spent on WoW with the monthly fees and expansions since 2004....

"To open one's mouth indiscriminately brings shame, and there are many times when people will turn their backs on such a person."

-Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Unnormal
Wolverine Council

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:59:18 PM »

Well said

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
ZONK
WoW Member

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 03:59:38 AM »

While I played and really enjoyed the first, I'm not all that excited about this one. I am however pumped as hell about Diablo 3. I'll never join the fuck blizzard band-wagon, simply because they can charge what they want, I don't have to pay it unless I want to. Buying 3 individual boxes over 3 years for starcraft will still be boatloads cheaper than what I've spent on WoW with the monthly fees and expansions since 2004....

I agree, and do understand that it is the choice to buy it, tis why I am just sad because I wanted to buy it. And yes spending a possible of 150 over 3 years is not as bad, but can't compare it to WoW, because they add stuff every 1-4 months. This game will add only a handful of new units beyond the single player story that normally ships in the first game. The main concern right now is just that the community being shattered into 3 groups will make the multiplayer not as fun and more difficult to meet up and be able to play with friends and new friends in the hope you have the same version.

Redbear8
WoW Member

where's the honey?

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 01:21:28 PM »

Yeah I can certainly see that. I never got into the RTS multiplayer world much, aside from a few Red Alert lan parties back in the day so it doesn't hurt me so much. Those of you that are serious about mulitplayer though, this will suck until after the third year...

"To open one's mouth indiscriminately brings shame, and there are many times when people will turn their backs on such a person."

-Yamamoto Tsunetomo
gr0n
LAZER!
Wolverine Council

Space Rules

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:36:41 PM »

All I have to say is: Dawn of War II comes out in February.  Smiley

Unnormal
Wolverine Council

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 06:45:37 PM »

February is a long time off but the game looks cool

therealfragger
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 05:14:31 AM »

Hmmm, I am not going to call greed on this one for a couple of reasons. From what Blizzard has said the multiplayer for each is going to be the same and with each game they may add a few new units. Now from the way they answered the question, "Are players from each game going to be able to play each other?" they answered they are trying to get that to work. Secondly each single player mission is going to be LONGER than Starcraft 1 so that is badass. And finally where did they say it was going to be a year between games because this is what they said at Blizzcon:

"It's a little bit similar to that in that it would be great if we could have them follow one year from one another; I think that's going to be our target, but certainly that's not a promise in any way. But I think that's going to be around the realm that we're going to be hoping for."

And my favorite quote about it:
Pardo explained that the multiplayer remains relatively unchanged; each StarCraft II game will have a fully functioning multiplayer suite with all three races playable. "[In] the shipping product, all three races will be fully featured and balanced in gameplay and also in content," he said. We asked whether that meant the multiplayer suite in each game would be exactly the same, and he said, "More than likely, the successive products will add multiplayer content; we haven't decided right now what that is." That brought up the question as to how multiplayer would work if some players only buy the first game while others only buy the second or third games. He said that they haven't made any determinations yet as to how that would work.

So . . . we still don't know everything
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx