gfxHomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
      « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starting School  (Read 4241 times)
Volk
WoW Member

Me at Neuschwanstein Castle

« on: April 08, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »

Well, I've decided to start some online courses to get my degree. I'm going to start with the General Education courses such as Math, History, and (somehow) a lab course. I'm going to get my AA in Russian, since I have 45 credit hours from the military language school, DLI, and all I need are the Gen Eds. However, I was told by a buddy to look into IT courses beyond that when I continue past my Associates.

Since there are so many IT guys in the guild, I was wondering if any of you have any advice for me, such as what courses to look for and such things.

~Bryan

Practice Safe Lunch, Use a Condiment.
thrun
Metal God
WoW Member

Starting a protometal band to raise HPV awareness

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »

IMHO, trenchwork goes a long way in the IT industry.  I've seen plenty of guys with bachelor's working helpdesk jobs because they didn't have any experience outside of school. 

That being said, if you are looking for guaranteed work I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who knows PHP or SQL not being able to find a job
Reddawn
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »

Yeah Thrun is right.....gotta start in the mail room and work your way up.

I hate IT. If I could free up some of my financial responsibilities I would drive a cab or something.
Jim Tressel
[global] WTB new character name

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:55:38 PM »

I'm thinking about going to work in construction with Arctic.  Computers are the devil, but people who use computers are even worse.  Especially when they're librarians.  Man, I fucking HATE librarians.  And books.  Fuck books.

Varg
Varg....Varg Vikernes
SW:TOR Officer

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:59:40 PM »

I depends on what you want to do. Thrun is right, there is always a need for those guys. In my opinion there is more money/jobs in networking so you couldn't wrong studying Cisco and getting a CCNA.

If you want to do programing, i dont know if the rest of these guys agree but i have seen a ton of jobs looking for .NET ASP experince.
Its just really based on what you want to do, IT is a very broad field and it is good to focus on one area.
Are you going to TROY?

gratefulness you guys for doing what you did so far. It's important bullshit.
Snackcakes
GO BUCKS!
WoW Member

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »

I depends on what you want to do. Thrun is right, there is always a need for those guys. In my opinion there is more money/jobs in networking so you couldn't wrong studying Cisco and getting a CCNA.

If you want to do programing, i dont know if the rest of these guys agree but i have seen a ton of jobs looking for .NET ASP experince.
Its just really based on what you want to do, IT is a very broad field and it is good to focus on one area.
Are you going to TROY?

I used to do IT recruiting before I stared at OSU and I've seen a lot of help desk positions always open. Not the best but its a good place to start.

A+ certification is easy and a good place to start as well, just gives you that overall " I know about computers" credit to your resume and like Varg said, networking is the hotness - you can make some good money with that and then move on to server administration ask gr0n about it. He's our resident network/server guru.

My faith in you shall never falter again.
Volk
WoW Member

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »

Well, I'm planning far out into the future right now. I still have at least 2 years left in the Army, more if I re-enlist, which it's looking like I might. I'm basically looking for things to do when I get out of the military. Sure, I could do jobs in the civilian sector of the government with my clearance, but I don't want to stay a Linguist forever. Who knows, maybe I'll try to do gov't IT work, since I have the TS/SCI clearance already.

Oh, and as for which school I'm going through, it's Pierce College.

~Bryan

thrun
Metal God
WoW Member

Starting a protometal band to raise HPV awareness

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:41:39 PM »

[ Varg said, networking is the hotness - you can make some good money with that and then move on to server administration ask gr0n about it. He's our resident network/server guru.

I'd have to look at my paperwork again, but my job title is either Jr. Systems Admin or Production Assurance which is equivalent to the network/server guru's bitch and I make a very livable wage.   70% of my time is spent picking my ass waiting for something to happen to.  Which has it's ups and downs since I like to be busy.

I agree with the comments about the .NET framework and ASP as well, good stuff to know. 

Turkley
Wolverine Core Member - all game access

Controlled Chaos

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:18:50 PM »

[ Varg said, networking is the hotness - you can make some good money with that and then move on to server administration ask gr0n about it. He's our resident network/server guru.

I'd have to look at my paperwork again, but my job title is either Jr. Systems Admin or Production Assurance which is equivalent to the network/server guru's bitch and I make a very livable wage.   70% of my time is spent picking my ass waiting for something to happen to.  Which has it's ups and downs since I like to be busy.

I agree with the comments about the .NET framework and ASP as well, good stuff to know. 

Ya, I'm a Server/Network Engineer.  Most of my time is spent updating software versions, researching new technology, and waiting for shit to break.
Arctic
Old

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »

I'm thinking about going to work in construction with Arctic.  Computers are the devil, but people who use computers are even worse.  Especially when they're librarians.  Man, I fucking HATE librarians.  And books.  Fuck books.

Dont do it since im not workin... but when i do work its nice to know the only thing i need to worrie about is if my shoes are tied

Snackcakes
GO BUCKS!
WoW Member

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »

Dont do it since im not workin... but when i do work its nice to know the only thing i need to worrie about is if my shoes are tied

I built trusses for awhile and did roofing as well - it is nice to just get out of the office and just break/build shit

My faith in you shall never falter again.
Liladia
WoW Member

RAWRRRR

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 02:12:15 AM »

Good for you, Bry!  Just make sure, I mean make extra sure (double and triple check) that the school will take your credits from the military. It would suck if you started paying them money and then your previous work couldn't go towards a degree.

Not sure if I have any advice as to what to take - that's Marc's realm.  He'd probably tell you to steer clear of IT until you get more experience under your belt.  If you really want to work with computers, though, I'm pretty sure that there's a decent market for health informatics.

Volk
WoW Member

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 03:49:47 AM »

Well, the great thing about being in the military, is that we have an Education Office here on post, and their entire job is to help soldiers with education needs and set us up with the right schools. Seeing as how there are a lot of linguists here, I'm pretty sure this guy knows what he is doing, since he has the DLI website memorized. Also, I only have to pay for my books. The Army pays for the rest of the schooling.

~Bryan

Kith
Wolverine Core Member - all game access

This space for rent

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »

Thrun is definitely correct about getting 'trenchwork'.  5 of the 9 guys in our group (including Snacks, Gr0n and myself) started out as student employees that spent alot of time in those trenches and our degrees have almost nothing to do with IT.  JT and I may be the closest with GIS degrees, but I've never used my degree a day in my life and I'm pretty sure I can say the same for JT. 

Gr0n and JT's third roommate runs another IT shop here at OSU, with 6 FTEs reporting to him and his degree is in Family Resource Management -- what we lovingly refer to as the "Mommy classes" or what you sign up for when you want to get your MRS.  It's nice scenery though...

Girls, girls - you're both pretty.
Stugots
I'm no Geographist.
Wolverine Council

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 04:34:04 PM »

I spent 6 years in IT

/sigh

Now I'm in pizza.  I make more money, but the hours blow ass.

Stugots is an Italian American slang word taken from "Stu Cazzo", itself a corruption of 'Questo Cazzo', meaning "this dick". 'Questo' = This, 'Cazzo' = dick
Member of the Specialized Terran Fighting Unit since 2005
BCBrent:  "This Wolverine has a steed with really long legs".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx